Can you "CHEAT" and still lose weight?
"cheating" is such a negative word. Most activities that involve cheating are not positve. But when it comes to cheating on your workout/nutrition plan it seems to get a different reaction. I get asked a lot about having cheat days & cheat meals when trying to lose weight. Some people just want that one day where they don't have to count calories and for others they want to eat something they crave. Whether the reason is...I'll break down the various scenarios of having a "cheat day" and give you my advice:
1. Calories in vs. calories out--we all know we must consume less calories than you burn to lose weight. So when planning a cheat day you must take into account of the 6 other days. Your cheat day should be planned & controlled. If you over indulge you will either maintain your weight or take 2 steps back from that weight loss effort that you strived for all week.
2. If you reall feel the desire to "cheat" then maybe it's time to change up your diet. --If your daily diet is to restrictive, plain, boring, or tedious then you WON'T be able to stick with it forever. If you constantly have cravings for other foods then it may be time to reassess your nutrition plan.
- Start to embrace all foods--You can eat ALL foods...just try to cut out/limit the processed ones.
- Stop saying "bad & "good" foods-- instead of saying "bad" say "it's high in calories and I should limit this so I will eat it in moderation"
- Don't beat yourself up over eating too many calories--Get into control and get right back on track!
3. Enjoy foods you love in small portions--
- Savor those bites.
- Don't eat right out of the packages..set it aside on a plate or in a bowl.
- Don't eat in front of the T.V or computer--> enjoy your food.
- Stop eating when you feel full.
4.Examine your relationship with food--
- Ditch the diet mentality
- Aim to eat healthy 80% of the time.
- Learn to cook at home with spices to add flavor and variety to meals.
- Learn to love whole foods that come from nature
- Avoid having out of control binges--by eating foods you love in moderation.