Jambalaya is dish that originated in the caribbean and it's based on meat, veggies, stock and rice. When we went to Spain our favorite dish was called Paella, which is very similiar to Jambalaya, it was just originated in Spain. It contains meat, veggies, and rice. These dishes are easy to prepare and have a great mix of protein, complex carbs, and colorful vegetables. I make my Jambalaya with extra veggies for extra nutrition, color, and flavor!
Spicy Chicken Sausage (4 links)
Frozen cooked small shrimp (1 package)
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
2 cups mushrooms
1 cup diced celery
1 cup diced onions
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 can low-sodium corn (drained)
1 cup rice (stubstitute Quinoa for extra protein and fiber)
Mix all ingredients together in a crockpot and heat for 4-6 hours on medium heat.
I LOVE roasted butternut squash...especially when you add spinach, onions, and dried cranberries. It's the perfect healthy side dish alternative to sweet potato casserole, because you can savor the sweetness without all the fat and calories. PLUS added nutrients with the SPINACH!
Butternut Squash--chopped into 1inch sqaures (you can now buy them pre-cut if your short on time)
Bag of baby spinach
1 sweet onion- diced
1 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp olive oil
Preheat oven to 425*
Place cut Butternut Squash and diced onions on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes. (if your short on time, place in a microwave safe dish for 5-10 minutes. Stirring every few minutes to soften the squash). The Squash should be tender when cooked either way.
Remove from oven and mix all ingredients together in a serving dish.
This recipe is a healthier alternative to regular stuffing. Using whole wheat bread, apples, and sweet potatoes for added nutritional value!
Sweet Potato Apple Stuffing
2 large sweet potatoes
1/4 cup low-fat butter or margarine
1 ½ cups chopped raw onions
½ cup diced celery
2 cups chopped apples (I prefer granny smith)
1/2 cup water
4 slices whole wheat bread (toasted and crumbled) OR *2 cups whole wheat bread crumbs for stuffing
½ cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
Cover sweet potatoes in water, bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer till tender (20 minutes). Drain. Peel and discard skin, and mash potatoes in a large bowl. Heat 1/4 cup butter in a large pan on medium high heat. Add onions, celery, salt and pepper. Cook stirring often for about 5 minutes. Add apples, water and spices; continue cooking and stirring for 3-4 minutes. Stir mixture and bread crumbs into sweet potatoes. Adjust seasonings and moisture as needed with broth. Place in sprayed 9X9 baking dish. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes until golden brown.
1. Stick to your exercise routine-- Put it in your calendar. Plan ahead, make a schedule and stick to it!
2. Eat a Healthy Breakfast-- Make sure its loaded with nutrients--> Low-fat greek yogurt, oatmeal or eggs and FRUIT.
3. Drink Water ALL day-- This will help the body better detoxify, protect and moisurize joints, kickstart metabolism, and absorb nutrients.
4. Keep a food journal-- it will help you be accountable for what you eat and help you make healthier choices.
5. Find a workout buddy or fitness coach --Helps you to stay motivated and on track!
This soup is so easy to prepare and only has 5 ingredients! You can never say you don't have enough time to cook a meal again!! I like to put all my ingredients in a crock pot for several hours to really let the flavor absorb, but you can definitely put them in a big pot on the stove and just quickly heat up if you're in rush.
box of Low sodium chicken broth
12.5oz can of chicken (in water)
can of low sodium corn (drained)
can of fire roasted tomatoes
can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
Mix all ingredients together in crockpot or sauce pan and heat!
Tacos can be a healthy meal, especially when you add in lots of diced peppers, onions, & mushrooms! Opt for Lean Beef...turkey and chicken are also great options. And use whole grain tortillas. I like to add diced cucumbers on top for an extra crunch!
1lb lean ground beef
1 taco seasoning packet
1/2 cup water
Diced red peppers
Diced green peppers
Diced sweet onion
Whole grain or Whole Wheat Taco Shells
Diced Cucumbers (optional---to put on top of finished taco)
- Mix all ingredients together in a saucepan on medium heat. (except for taco shells and cucumbers). Let simmer until meat is thoroughly cooked or longer for the meat and veggies to really soak up the flavor.
- Put into taco shell.
- Top with diced cucumbers or some non-fat or low-fat chedder cheese.
Hummus is a great dip for veggies! It's easy to make and packed with nutrients. There are many variations to make it, but here is a simple recipe:
- Drain a can of chick peas (garbanzo beans)--cream them in a blender or food processor (add a little lemon juice and olive oil
- Add in about 1 cup of salsa--your choice. I like Fresh salsa with diced tomatoes, onions, peppers, and chili pepper.
- Add about 1 tbsp Tahini, which makes the great flavor of hummus--> Tahini is made from roasted sesame seeds.
- Add garlic and some cracked black pepper.
- If dry add in a little vegetable broth.
- Chill in the fridge for about an hour before serving.
- serve with carrots, peppers, celery, bell pepper strips, broccoli, 100% whole wheat crackers or chips.
This recipe is easier than it sounds. It's a great way to get a well balanced meal with out overdoing it on the portions. We are so tempted to take a few scoops of pasta when pouring on our plate. So these pasta muffins are the perfect size..all you need it 2! :)
4 cups cooked whole wheat pasta
1 tbsp whole wheat flour
1 cup almond milk
1 cup low-fat or fat-free chedder cheese
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 400*
- In a small sauce pan add pumpkin, flour, milk, and seasonings. Once stirred together add in cheese and whisk unitl mixture in thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat and add in egg and egg white(They will act as binding agents).
- In a large bowl combine cooked pasta and cheese sauce and mix together.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into lightly sprayed muffin tin.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, tops should lightly brown.
Enjoy a nutritious and portion controlled pasta meal!
Meatballs are a great source of protein and can be paired with whole wheat pasta, on a whole wheat roll, or by themselves. By adding veggies into the meatball you add in vitamins, minerals, and fiber. Put as many or as little vegetables in as you would like....the more the better!
1lb ground Lean chicken or Turkey
Hot sauce (optional)
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Make small or large meatballs and place on a baking sheet and bake at 425* for about 25 minutes.
Greek yogurt is a great anytime snack. Try opting for non-fat plain greek yogurt and adding in fruit and spices for flavor and variety. I always use non-fat plain greek yogurt since I'm adding lots of yummy ingredients. Watch your portions..use tiny dishes!
Pumpkin Greek Yogurt
non-fat plain greek yogurt
pumpkin pie spice
Apple Cinnamon Greek Yogurt
non-fat plain greek yogurt
Berry Good Greek Yogurt
non-fat plain greek yogurt
any type of berries