A lot has been made of fish oil over the last few years. In the health & fitness industry, many consider it to be somewhat of a miracle supplement. Studies have shown that fish oil has many benefits with little to no side effects when taken in the correct dosage.
So what is it and why should you care?
To start, fish oil contains omega-3 essential fatty acids which are found naturally in fatty and oily fish such as salmon, tuna, and halibut among others. These essential fatty acids are known as “good fats". They are "essential" because you can only get them through diet and supplementation. Your body cannot produce them on its own. Fatty acids, such as Omega-3's, despite being misunderstood by some, are actually the building blocks of fat and are vital to your health and well being. As mentioned above, research has shown that the health benefits of fish oil are numerous. In fact, too numerous to mention here so I am going to bullet point below what I feel are some of the major benefits:
- Improved body fat loss during exercise
- Powerful anti-inflammatory effects that can reduce joint pain and help with arthritis
- Improved heart health
- Improved brain function, growth and development
- Reduced risk of cancer
- Decreased blood pressure
- Decreased depression
- Increased hair & nail growth
What to look for on the label and how much you should take:
- Most major manufactures of fish oil remove mercury and other harmful pollutants. Check the label to make sure
that it is purified fish oil.
- The most important omega-3 fatty acids are DHA and EPA. Check the label to see what types and amounts of omega-3 fatty acids the fish oil contains. Make sure it contains at least 50 percent of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Check the expiration date. Although fish oil contains a small amount of vitamin E to help preserve it, if you expose fish oil to air for a lengthy amount of time, it can spoil.
- Do not take more then the recommended dosage on the label. Taking more can cause increased risk of bleeding.
In conclusion, fish oil is relatively inexpensive and can be found in any vitamin and mineral store, grocery store, drug store or pharmacy, health food store, and of course online. It can last you months at a time and in my opinion is a great investment towards your health, no matter your age or physical condition. While it can be obtained from eating fish, unless you eat fish every day, I highly recommend taking a fish oil supplement. I refer all of my clients to Poliquin Group as I believe their Fish Oil EPA-DHA 720 Blend is of the highest quality, it is pharmaceutical-grade, and I have experienced the benefits firsthand. If you have questions, please send an email to email@example.com.
Yours In Health,
Coach Brian Donovan