This is a great circuit offering lower/upper/cardio and core workout. Perform each circuit in a row with only a 10 sec rest in between exercises.
Lower Body – 45 secs/10 sec rest
- Low Side to Side Lunges (lateral)
- 180 deg. Jump switch tap floor
- Squat to Jump Squat
- Side to Side Hop Overs
- Pendulum Lunges
Upper Body – 45 secs/10 sec rest
- Spiderman Pushups
- Plyo Pushups
- Punches with Light Dumbbells
- Side to Side Pushups (offset)
- Forearm Plank to Hand Plank
Cardio – 45 secs/10 sec rest
- Jump Rope
- High Knees
- Mountain Climbers
Core – 45 secs/10 sec rest
- Windshield Wipers with Dumbbells
- Jack Knifes
- Russian Twists with Dumbbell
- Reverse Crunches
Some further explanations:
Lower Body –
- Shift weight side to side bending one leg and straightening the other without locking. Keep chest lifted and look forward and do not round the back
- Face right wall, jump up and face left wall touching floor with one hand in between legs and switch and touch floor with other hand.
- Squat first then squat again and jump up and keep alternating.
- Use a target shield or anything that you feel comfortable jumping over, either with both feet or with one and then the other landing
- Lunge forward and then lunge back with same leg and repeat with the other alternating. Keep forward knee in line with ankle.
Upper Body –
- Push up and leg out to side bringing knee to elbow – Pushup and repeat other leg
- Plyo – pushup on toes or knees and add a push off the floor with both hands. You can clap if you like!
- Forward punches with light dumbbells – no more than 5 lbs. and do not lock elbows and keep punches @ shoulder height
- One hand on medicine ball, pushup and roll over to other hand and push up. Use a target shield or something you can slide across to other hand (phone book)
- Start in the plank position on your forearms, then raise up onto your right hand and then left hand. You will be in a position as if you were starting a push up. Reverse the movement lowering down onto the right forearm, and then the left forearm.
- Jump Rope , with or without a real rope
- High Knees , jog bringing knees up to hip level
- Sprawls – similar to burpees BUT bring hands to floor, kick feet back into pushup position with a tight core, bring hips down almost touching floor then kick feet forward to hands, stand and repeat
- 1-2-3’s - A jog 3-step movement to the right and then to the left. R/L/R bring left knee up and hold (crunch it!) then L/R/L bring right knee up and hold (crunch it!)
- Hands on floor and sprint bringing knees in close to chest
- Windshield Wipers – Lay flat holding 2 dumbbells up to ceiling shoulder width apart. Begin by bringing both legs up and over to left to outside of dumbbell and then dip both legs over to other side. Bring legs as low as you can to increase the core work but if you have back issues keep legs higher. Don’t touch legs together … leave a space!
- Jack Knifes - Lie flat on the floor (or exercise mat) on your back with your arms extended straight back behind your head and your legs extended also. This will be your starting position. As you exhale, bend at the waist while simultaneously raising your legs and arms to meet in a jackknife position. .. legs should be extended and lifted at approximately a 35-45 degree angle from the floor and the arms should be extended and parallel to your legs. The upper torso should be off the floor… inhaling, lower your arms and legs back to the starting position
- Russian Twists - Grasp one dumbbell and sit on floor with legs flexed about right angled placing heels on floor. Lean torso backward while lower back remains off floor. With both hands hold dumbbell centrical in front of chest and keep arms slightly flexed. Rotate torso from side to side. Keep hips in stable position and let head follow motion.Feet off floor offers more of a challenge!
- Bicycles – you know how to do these!
- Reverse crunches – these are actually back extensions (the crunch in reverse) lay on stomach with hands behind head and lift upper torso and legs off floor simultaneously , hold and then lower