Summer is upon us and it is a great time to enjoy the outdoors and get in a good run! Cardio is the best way to burn calories and keep your heart healthy! The recommended amount of cardio to maintain your health is 30 minutes most if not all days of the week. It's time to start moving!
I recently watched Smart Training for 5K and 10K Races Webinar by ACE's Mark Kelly. He had many great insights into prepping for races. Since I'm a big advocate of form and technique I'm going to share just a few tips from www.goodformrunning.com that were on the webinar.
Good form is critical for effective running, below are 4 Essentials of Good Form:
- Feet straight forward
- Head level with eyes focused forward
- Relaxed arms to sides with 90 degree bend @ elbow.
- Midfood strike, heel touches but not hard
- Foot lands under hip, feels like short stride
- Run light, soft knees.
- 180 steps/min, beginner 164
- Count right foot = 90 ct. or 20" = 30 ct. (27-beg.).
- Lean from the ankles without bending @ the waist
- Weight slightly forward, flex at ankles, stand tall
- Let gravity pull you, don't feel like falling.
Remember to use your glutes and core for strength as well.
Smart Training for 5K and 10K Races Webinar can be viewed by purchasing at www.acefitness.org/RaceTraining