1. Eat before going to a party – Eating a home allows you to make healthy choices. Avoid “nervous eating” if you feel uneasy at parties. You won’t be chewing every time someone approaches you to talk. Skip the embarrassment of having food stuck in between your teeth after you’ve been smiling all night.
2. If you need to eat at a party, choose a small plate and simple foods. Fruits, vegetables and shrimp cocktail are some examples of “clean foods”. Avoid dips and sauces which may contain hidden fats.
3. If you would like a little holiday cheer, alternate one zero calorie drink with one alcoholic drink. This will assure hydration. You can also skip the hang over and go to the gym the next day.
4. Choose cocktails made with low-calorie mixers, wine or light beer. Some mixed drinks like margaritas can contain as much as 1,000 calories! Most glasses of wine contain 125-150 calories. Beer can range from 64- 198 calories.
5. Before or after dinner, get the family and friends out for a brisk walk or a football game. Actively socialize. Don’t eat more because you “burned the calories”.