This year marks the 40th Anniversary of National Nutrition Month. The theme is “Eat Right, Your Way, Every Day.” I love it!
As you well know, I am very vocal about fads. I am one that does not support “diets” or “fads”. I love this year’s theme, as it is realistic, attainable, and personal.
In my line of work, people tend to reach out when they have “fallen off the wagon” or have a goal in mind…some realistic and some not so realistic. It saddens me to see the extent to which people will go in order to fit in the tight (wedding dress) or get that bikini vacation body. It is often not well received when I state the facts that, as an adult, 70% of our body is LIFESTYLE.
My Top 10 recommendations that my clients have incorporated into his/her life for successful weight loss and maintenance:
- The client has a balance between healthy eating and physical activity
- The client is true to the way a healthy plate should look (ChooseMyPlate.gov)
- A client snacks every two to three hours. I used to provide meals for my clients however, in recent years I have changed my approach. I now offer a service that starts the day with a healthy breakfast, and three snacks to follow. The snacks are proportioned to a serving size three times a day, Mon – Friday, and the client is responsible for his/her lunch, dinner, and weekend meals. I have found the GREATEST success in this formula because most clients are “too busy” for breakfast and snacking however, they find time for lunch and dinner because most often it is a social event. The trick is to NOT be overly hungry for lunch and dinner so the portions are controlled.
- Clients that drink plenty of water (Coffee, tea, and iced tea does not count as water).
- Clients that drink alcohol sparingly.
- Clients that eat home cooked meals 80% of the time.
- Clients that limit processed foods.
- Clients that pre-plan meals.
- Clients that enjoy eating for a “purpose” as opposed to an “addiction”.
- Clients that log their food.
Join me in celebrating National Nutrition Month by incorporating these Top 10 successful tips for Optimal Heath. I am here to help you reach your health and fitness goals!
Best of Health,