Thursday, April 21, 2011
How often have we heard the phrase, "breakfast is the most important meal of the day". While I agree, equally important is what we're consuming for breakfast. Here are some typical breakfast favorites, how many of these are on your list.
Dunkin' Donuts plain bagel with regular cream cheese
19 grams of fat, 12 saturated
Burger King Croissan'wich - 800,000 sold everyday!
30 grams of fat, 20 saturated
Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls - Now sold at Burger King
300 calories, with icing 530 calories
10 grams of fat
4 teaspoons of sugar
Hash Browns - Potatoes are the most frequently ordered breakfast food in restaurants.
Small order of hash browns is like a bacon cheeseburger and a large order equals 70% more fat.
Great Breakfast Grab-and-Go's
1. Spread 2 tablespoons of hummus on half a whole wheat bagel.
2. Layer a whole-grain toaster waffle with 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt and 1/2 cup fresh berries.
3. 1/2 cup cottage cheese with cantaloupe or honeydew melon.
4. 1 tablespoon low-fat peanut butter on whole-wheat bread and wrap around a banana.
5. Blend 1/2 cup plain low-fat yogurt and 1/2 cup orange juice with 1/2 frozen banana and 1/2 cup frozen strawberries.
6. Melt a slice of lite cheese over a tomato on an English muffin.
7. 1 low-fat yogurt with 1/2 cup raisin bran, low-fat granola, or oatmeal.
8. Whole wheat tortilla with scrambled egg-whites and salsa.
9. 1/2 bagel with lite or non-fat cream cheese and apple slices on top.
10. 1/4 cup low-fat ricotta cheese with 1/2 cup apple sauce add a dash of cinnamon, sprinkle with grape nuts.
Each of these grab-and-go's has no more than 400 calories, 8 grams of fat, and 570 mg of sodium.
Have a Healthy Day,