It’s Sunday morning, and typically on Sundays I do all my grocery shopping for the week and plan my meals out. That way I can stay focused on my fitness goals and save a little money as well. During my grocery shopping adventure I couldn’t help but notice all the people that were walking up and down the aisles trying to figure out what healthy foods to buy while attempting to read the nutrition facts some of which I still have a hard time reading.
As I wrapped up my shopping and headed to my car I couldn’t help but think about all the misconceptions out there regarding grocery shopping. Low fat, sugar free, no trans fat. No wonder people are so confused and misguided, they don’t know what to read or who to listen to.
With all the information out there, I have put together my top 5 secrets of supermarket shopping:
- Hydrogenated and Trans Fat= Bad Fat
What is BAD FAT? Bad Fat is otherwise known as saturated fat. The stuff that we eat and that unfortunately doesn’t want to do anything productive in our body before it stores itself around the belly. Be on the lookout for these types of fats in anything that is processed, especially sweets (cookies, doughnuts, ho-hos, etc.). Our bodies do not break down these types of fats easily. Instead, look for healthier alternatives such as “monounsaturated” or “polyunsaturated” fats. Both these fats can be used for energy and have some good health benefits.
- Stoop and bend or go up on your tippy toes to find the REAL healthy items
Ever notice what products tend to be right at eye level?
? The most popular ones. Every time I am walking down the pasta aisle the first thing I see is…good ol’ macaroni and cheese! In order to find the grocery items that are best for my body and my health, I tend to snoop around. I Look HIGH and look LOW, but I don’t look in front of me. The mouth might like what it sees, but the waistline won’t!
- Always try to shop around the perimeter of the store.
I have always pondered the layout of a grocery store. A word to the wise—some things in the middle might be okay but don’t get caught there. I always try to shop around the perimeter of the store. That’s where all the good healthy stuff is— vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and fish.
- Make a list with all the HEALTHY items.
“If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.” This is by far the most important tip I can give you! This tip alone has helped my lose 40 pounds and make sure I don’t put it back on. Take 15 minutes before heading to the store and write down everything
- The 411 on Label Reading
I could write for pages on this subject alone, but I wan to share some basic information.
- Ingredients begin with the item that is most prevalent in the food. Therefore, if I can’t read it, I don’t buy it.
- I am always wary of the “trans fat” and “hydrogenated fat” words.
- Watch out for saturated fats and try to stay below 10 grams of total fat.
- Find a way to control portion size…. In the beginning…. This is what worked for me.. I struggled with portion control. For example, a bag of chips might say that it is only 100 calories/serving but the serving size might be whopping 4 chips. All of a sudden, 12 chips later and still hungry, I was already 300 calories in the hole.
- Sugar was my best friend. Sugar is a simple carbohydrate, which means that it gets processed and into the bloodstream very quickly. When that happens, the body shuttles out insulin and pushes the sugar into cells. Too much sugar overload, and BOOM—fat storage!
Food is the foundation to any successful fitness goal, whether it is fat or weight loss or increasing lean muscle and gaining size. Following these 5 secrets will take ZOOM FOCUS, but the end results will be LIFE CHANGING!
In Good Health