I wanted to let all of you who read my blog know that I am sorry that I have not had a blog post for the past 2 weeks. I have been busy with work. I also want to let you all know that I will not be able to blog again till the first week in Feburary due to the demands put on me by the holiday season. I hope that you all have a great holiday season and check back in for my blog to strart up again in Feburary.
I want to thank all of you for reading my weekly blogs. This week I am not going to have a blog topic because I have been swamped and dont have time to prepare it but I will have a new one for you all next week.
Now that the snow is flying have you found it hard to get to the gym? Are you not going to the gym because it involves going out in the cold? Are you skipping workouts cause of the cold and not wanting to go to the gym?
Even though it is nice and cold out there is no reason that you should have to feel that you can't workout even if you can't make it to the gym for whatever reason. If you can't make it to the gym you can setup a good workout at home with normal house hold products. The following are a few exercises that you can do at home with things that most people have just laying around or without any equipment at all.
1) Ball exchanges -- You may does these at the gym with a stability ball but you can do these at home with any random object (the kids toy truck) the object of this exercise is to work your abs with the range of motion that it puts your body through so as long as you have something to pass between your legs on arms you are good.
2) Sit squats -- all you need is a chair to make sure that you squat far enough down. This will keep your quadriceps in shape.
3) Side laying leg raises and lower leg side laying leg raises -- all you need to do these is your body. These two exercises will keep your abductor and adductor muscles in shape.
4) Hamstring curls -- all you need for these are 4 cans of veggies (they should be the same weight) 4 socks (or something to put the cans in so that you can drape the weight over your ankles) and a place that you can lay so that you're able to lay on your stomach and curl your lower legs up to touch your butt.
5) The good old fashioned plank -- no equipment need for this one and it is killer on the abs.
6) Dips -- all you need for this one is the edge of the couch or the edge of a chair. This one is a great way to work your triceps.
7) Calf raises and extensions -- all you need for this one is a step or even a thick book that puts you a little off the ground. You will hate this one but in the end you will have some amazing calf muscles to show off.
8) And the last one for tonight is the good old fashioned pushups -- this works so many different muscles and there is no equipment needed.
These are just a few exercises that you can do at home with very minimal equipment. If you do a full hour workout with the exercises I provided you will get a good full body workout and you never had to leave your house to enjoy a great workout. I hope you all can use these and other exercises to get in a great workout even if you aren't able to make it to the gym.
Halloween is on its way and we all know that with Halloween comes a ton of candy that lingers around and tempts us to give in and over consume. The following are a few tips to try to avoid giving in to the temptation of Halloween candy.
1) If you are going to be giving out chocolate go with a dark chocolate treat. Dark chocolate has many health benefits that all other types of chocolate don't have.
2) Passing out low fat candy i.e. Twislers, salt water taffy. This way you will have a have a lower calorie candy to munch on as you absent mindedly chow down on the left over candy (we all do it this time of year so don't feel guilty about it just prep for it to make it have less of an impact on your weight.)
3) Pass out fresh fruit. We all know the benefits of fresh fruit and if you have left overs there will be no guilt when you snack on them for the next few days.
4) Here is the healthiest treat to pass out but if you live in a highly populated area it may be a bit costly. Pass out a quarter or silver dollar to each tricker treater. My parents did this a couple of years during my childhood but we lived in a really small town so it wasn’t to terribly pricey for them.
These are just a few tips on how to keep all the great Halloween traditions and memories alive and to help keep the pounds away. If you have any other healthy tips to add please add a comment to help others keep off the Halloween weight.
Do you want to get in shape but you’re not into the whole gym scene? Wondering what you can do to get in shape?
I have set out on a quest to try the different home workout videos that clam to get results if you follow them. The first three that I am going to test out and report back to you guys on are Zumba, P90X and Insanity.
I have done several Zumba workouts and I would have to say it is an awesome workout. Zumba is a fast paced dance/ aerobics to Latin music. Zumba is a great cardio workout and if you are just looking to tone your muscles and burn the fat it will get you the results that you are looking for. It is not really a workout to add muscle strength like a good weight lifting routine would do.
I just got done with my first P90X workout and it was awesome. P90X has 12 different workouts. They each target a different muscle group. I did the Plyometrics workout tonight. It was a great cardio workout and it made my legs burn like no other workout has ever made my legs burn. As far as I can tell at this point P90X if followed will get you all the results that you are looking for.
In summary Zumba is great for a fun cardio, fat burning and toning workout plan and P90X will do all that and so much more. I am not currently done researching P90X to say what all results you can expect. In a month or so I will finish my review for P90X and start my review on Insanity which is another one that I have been told is a lot of fun.
Has your workout gotten boring? Have you stopped seeing results no matter how often you workout? Do you do the same workout every day?
If you answered yes to these questions then it is time that you change up your workout. If you do the same workout all the time your body gets board with it and platues. It is very important that you change up your workouts on a regular basis so that your body doesn’t get to the point that you are just going through the motion and so you don't stop seeing results.
How do you change it up?
1) Tradeoff between cardio and strength training (Do cardio one day and strength training the next)
2) Find a new strength training route each week to keep your muscles guessing what’s going to happen next.
3) Find new types of workouts (i.e... Zumba, Insanity, step aerobics.....)
4) Make sure that you give your body at least one day a week to rest.
If you keep your muscles guessing as to what is coming next you should continue to see results. Just like you get bored with the same old daily route your muscles get bored with the same old workout so spice it up and keep them guessing.
Hey there everyone sorry that I am late on getting this blog done but I have been going through a transitional period with my internet connection. I will be doing this blog and you will still see this week’s blog on Wednesday as normal.
Does my body shape effect my health? Apple or Pear which body shape is better?
First I will define the two different body shapes and where your body stores the fat for each of them then I will discuss the effects that the fat storage location has on your health.
Android (Apple Shape) - If your body shape is the Android shape your body will store your body fat (adipose tissue) in your abdominal area.
Gynoid (Pear Shape) - If your body shape is the Gynoid shape your body will store your body fat in your hips and lower body.
What effect does your body shape have on your health?
The Android body shape is an unfortunately healthy body shape. The fact that the body fat is stored in the abdomen area causes your internal organ to be coated in fat. This can cause damage to your internal organs. The healthier body shape to have is the Gynoid because the fat being stored in your hips does not encase any vital organs in fat.
We can't change our body type but we can help your bodies out by eating healthy and exercising regularly and keeping our weight at a healthy level.
Are you trying to lose weight? Are you trying to count calories but its just getting to confusing and time consuming? Many people count calories to try to lose weight but is this the right tactic to use to lose weight or is it just confusing and time consuming?
Calories are mesurements of energy that you are taking in and using each day. It is important to monitor how many calories that you consume on a daily basis so that your aren't eating to much. However; it is more importatnt that you monitor where those calories are comeing from (Fats, Carbs, Alcohol, Protiene.....) rather then the exact number of calories you're consuming every day. You wont have to watch the number of calories that you take in like a hawk if you are eating he right foods. If your diet consits of mainly fruits and veggies you won't have to stress over the number of calories that you consume as much as you would if your diet consits of maily of meats and carbs.
A large number of veggies have what are known as negative calorie values. What are negative calories you say? Negative calorie foods are foods like celery that takes your body more energy to digest them then they provide the body.
If calorie counting isn't nessicary to lose weight how do I monitor my food intake to successfully lose weight? It is simple you still need to read the labels but you won't be reading them for the number of calories that they have in them you will be reading them for the serving size and other nutritional values such as grams of fat, carbs and protien. You will want to look for foods that are low in fat and high in protein.
Also to take off the weight with out having to count calories you will want to eat small meals every 3 to 4 hours instead of eating 2 or 3 large meals every day. With these small meals you will want to make sure that each of them consist of some kind of fruit and or viggie and a protien. You will want to eat your largest meal for breakfast to help fule your body for the day. By eating more often your motabilism will always be working making it more efficent in breaking down the food and you wont be as hungry if you are eating more often so you are less likely to over eat.
Calorie counting is a very valuable tool to use when trying to lose weight however; so many just get caught up with just the number of calories that they are consuming and not the quality of the source of the calories. So don't just focus on the number of calories that you are taking in each day. Focus harder on the quality of the calories that your are putting into your body. Once you get started eating the healthier foods you will find that the higher fat foods don't apeal to you any more and if you are anything like me the smell of fast food will make you sick. One ending note for you below you will find how many calories are in each garm of fat, carbs, protein and alcohol.
1 gram of fat has 9 calories
1 gram of carbs has 4 calories
1 gram of protein has 4 calories
1 gram of alcohol has 7 calories.
Have you been training for a special event and over done it and hurt yourself? Have you stopped working out due to the injury?
If you have recently over worked some part of your body in a workout and you are wondering if you should full stop working out the answer is NO. If you have an injury you should defiantly rest the area that is injured but there is now reason (unless instructed by a doctor) to full stop working out while recovering from an injury. You should remain working the parts of your body that are not injured so that you don't lose all the toning and strength that you have worked so hard for. It has been proven that the injured area will heal quicker if you keep the other parts of your body in shape while the injury is healing. The reason for this is staying in shape helps improve your blood flow. The improved blood flow helps the injured muscle heal faster because the needed nutrients are more readily accessible for that muscle the toxins that are being released in the healing process will be removed more efficiently.
If you have injured yourself don’t let it put all your progress to a screeching halt. Just slow it down a little to give the injury time to heal and keep the rest of the body healthy and strong.
Do you workout at home or outside year round? Are you wondering how you should dress for your winter month workouts?
When exercising outside during the winter months there are precautions that you should take just as you do during the summer months while working out and enjoying the outdoors. During the summer you have to worry about the heat and how it will affect you. During the winter months you need to pay special attention to the cold. There are several things that can happen if you don't dress properly for exercising outside during the winter.
What do you need to do to stay safe while exercising outside during the winter months?
1) Stay hydrated (even though it is cold outside you can dehydrate yourself)
2) Wear layers (You should wear layers so that while you are warming up and cooling down you have more close on to stay warm and as you warm up during your workout you can shed layers as needed)
3) Don't allow yourself to stay in wet clothes as you could get hypothermia or frost bite.
Keep these few simple tips in mind while you continue to enjoy the great outdoors for your workout.