Blog-5/22/11...Make it a HEALTHY WEEK!
I’ve been out of the blogging loop for a bit, life just get’s in the way sometimes! There have been so many events at my children’s school, socials, visit from wonderful Mother-In-Law, and then there’s the usual responsibilities of work, running the home, you know, taking care of business! (And finally getting over a nasty cold/sinus/allergy thing that lingered for two weeks, and I’m one of those who loves to eat even when I’m sick.)
It’s easy for any of us to let a few pounds creep up when we’re so busy we can’t find the time to workout and we’re eating on the run, or ordering in because we don’t have time to shop for dinner let alone prepare it!
So...I started a little experiment with myself (yes, even though I’m a fitness coach I have to deal with weight gain just like you, and nobody wants a chubby trainer!)- - - -
Even though I was getting in some exercise and trying to eat well, I noticed those annoying stubborn extra pounds settling in and by God I was not going to let it keep creeping up. (Unfortunately, as we get older our metabolism slows and we lose muscle mass--muscle burns more calories--so it get’s harder and harder to lose just a few measly pounds.)
Last Sunday I got on the scale and I was not a happy camper. I had reached my “Oh no you didn’t” weight. That was it, right then and there- - - and I knew what I had to do.
It wasn’t hard, it wasn’t complicated, in fact it’s really quite simple (the hardest part is changing your mindset, but that’s what it takes.)
What does the trainer do to train and lose weight for herself? Here’s how it works:
I cut out/down sugar and artificial sweeteners (I did have one diet coke with my girlfriends) and made sure I amped up and got both some strength training and cardio sessions in. (Long power-walk with the dog--counts, intense yoga class with some girlfriends followed by super healthy lunch- - counts, a couple of 20 minute strength training sessions---counts, etc.)
As the week went on I noticed I was feeling better, not as sluggish, more energy and my favorite pair of jeans were comfy again!
It has been one week since my last weigh in- - - -I got on the scale this morning and I have lost 4.5 pounds!- - - In one week! And not on any crazy diet or pill or by fasting!
My point here is you CAN do it. It is WORTH it, and actually you feel better when you’re not eating a lot of sugary, carby stuff and you’re moving and breaking a sweat.
Simple, Strong, Sexy....YOU!
- Cut down/out the sugar to no more than 15 grams a day
- Drink lots of water
- Stay away from artificial sweeteners
- Don’t even start on chips or cookies...make sure you have some fresh fruit when you’re craving sweets...have an apple with some peanut butter, make sure you have some nuts...a handful of nuts can really help quell that craving!
- COLOR! Eat colorful veggies...have something green, red, yellow, etc. at every meal.
- DO NOT sit and eat while watching TV. Unless it’s baby carrots and celery sticks. (Maybe it’s time to learn knitting!)
- MOVE! At least 5 days a week do SOMETHING for 45 minutes minimum (you can string together 10 mins here, 15 there...it all adds up and counts)
- Push yourself, break a sweat...don’t get complacent...challenge yourself, take a class, do a DVD, workout with a friend...check out my Green Routine Workout! You can do it anywhere!
- Weigh yourself today...start this program and don’t weigh yourself until next Sunday.
- BREATH and relax whenever you can. Try to take a break at least once during the day, close your eyes and visualize your path....healthier, fitter, thinner, feeling goooood!
I’d love to hear from you and answer any questions and give support!
Make it a HEALTHY Week!