by Marc D Thompson Posture is an often overlooked part of fitness. Often improper or misaligned biomechanics can lead to injuries, both overuse and traumatic. If one has poor movement and continues that over a period of time a repetitive injury can result. The movement can be an everyday motion or an exercise in a gym. Traumatic injuries can be the result of bad mechanics while engaged in a sport of exercise, sometimes just a one time action. Lastly, improper motion caused after an injury can lead to additional concerns after the injury has healed but the body continues with the new (improper) movement.
Here are a few of the more common movements or actions that should be considered.
- Keep car seat/office chair ergonomically sound
- Stretch pectorals/anterior deltoids routinely, keep shoulder back but relaxed
- Stretch hamstrings/lumbars as needed
- Use a step for support for those who stand for prolonged periods of time, alternate foot on step (nurses, waitresses, massage therapists, etc.)
- Keep purse weight below 5# and alternate shoulders; alternate arms holding infant
- Keep wallet slender; alternate pockets
- Use a head set when on phone
- Use proper neutral spine/pelvis throughout day
- Alternate mouse hands
- Sleep without arms above head and select a proper firm mattress
It is recommended to do daily activities ambidextrously (eg, brush teeth one day left-handed, one day right).
Marc D. Thompson, owner of VirtuFitTM, is a prominent fitness trainer and personal coach with a background in medicine and exercise physiology. He has pioneered virtual training and teaches via Skype one-on-one and group classes. Approaching fitness holistically, Marc believes the fusion of creativity and practicality is essential in moving each individual toward their fitness goals. Along with over 25 years of experience, he draws from thousands of exercises, fitness disciplines, sports psychology techniques and nutritional principals to empower each individual client.
Marc D Thompson, VirtuFitTM
Virtual Personal Training, Live & OnlineTM