What if you could meet your instructors, make friends, and ask questions before committing to a new class?
- What do I wear? Low tread sneakers and your normal comfy attire!
- What music do you play? From traditional to popular, ALL artists and genres, AND if you bring in a song, we can show you how to dance to it!
- Where are classes held? In the main lecture room of OASIS, located just West of Carlisle off Menaul.
- What if I have two left feet? If you walked in this room, not to worry, you have one left and one right foot.
- What if I have never danced before? PERFECT! Classes are designed for absolute beginners. We start with no music, clapping basic rhythms, and moving in place, then build up.
- What if I danced for years? PERFECT! Classes include demonstrated variety to get the fitness and knowledge you seek.
This past weekend it was my honor to present on the topic of "Psychological Wellness" at the Albuquerque Strength and Conditioning Clinic, held annually for fitness professionals and interested public at the JCC of Greater Albuquerque.
With research from more than 25 sources ranging 200 years, participants in my 45-minute presentation received knowledge and techniques in five Dimensions of Wellness. We also did the Wave, learned Salsa Dance in 15 seconds, and considered "What if Michael Jackson was our training client?" (attend my next live events and read on for those perks!)
Dimensions of Wellness models range from 6-8 parts of your life that accumulate into each unique person. BUT use the model in reverse: is WHAT you do in your life, such as your fitness program of choice, supporting your wellness?
1. Emotional Dimension: Does your fitness program feel great, and at all times?
2. Mental Dimension: Does your fitness program educate you? What are the thoughts your program creates in you about own abilities, success, and growth?
3. Social Dimension: Does your fitness program allow time and opportunities to meaningfully connect with others, such as your trainer and fellow clients?
4. Spiritual Dimension: Does your fitness program enhance your greater purpose?
Then I revealed how to create YES responses in these and more wellness dimensions in ALL fitness programs.
As a person seeking wellness, you can find activities or programs that compliment your needs:
- Emotional: Do you want to feel challenged, energized, or relaxed?
- Mental: Do you want to learn about yourself or a skill, or follow guidance?
- Social: Do you want to workout alone, with a group, or be part of a team?
- Spiritual: What physical abilities do you need to achieve your life purpose?
- And much more!
Looking at all the wellness dimensions, from personal performances and candid interviews, perhaps he had huge strength in his life purpose (Spiritual), conveyed that purpose in his Emotional, Mental, and Physical performances, yet key negative Social, Occupational, and Environmental aspects revealed themselves in his music evolution, and those stressors ultimately compromised his overall wellness.
What if he had different social support? Decreased occupational and environmental stress? More quality recovery time?
Could a fitness program have supported these solutions? Absolutely.
This post is in honor of the fitness professionals and clients who strive for Dramatic Wellness.
Join me live September 16 at the FREE Taste of OASIS open house to receive the answers to your wellness questions and learn about my preferred fitness program, LaBlast.
With love and gratitude,
Patty Brown (LB Marketing Director), Chris Mesker, and Beth Canuel
with the new online classes led by Louis Van Amstel
The other day I was dancing Tango with a student in my UNM Ballroom class, and he thanked me for sharing my darker story of physical challenges with the class last fall.
And then he asked that share them openly with you. Oh boy...
Here are some hard health highlights from my first 35 years:
• Cancer Survivor, age 19. No thyroid. Limited body temperature and metabolism regulation
• Missing liver enzyme, high bilirubin and immune response
• High arches and shorter right leg; corrective orthotics
• Underdeveloped vertebrae, forward pelvic tilt, permanent s- and c- spinal curves
• Occasional peripheral neuropathy, unknown cause or progression
• Four head traumas, four pregnancies but two beautiful children, epidural spinal leak, broken tailbone, nail through my left foot…
Yes... There IS more.
BUT! The reason he and so many students come to UNM PE-AP classes and I dance and teach today with minimal pain, strength, and wellness: our like-minded community is sharing it all with YOU!
The UNM Dance Fitness Clinic, April 19-20, 2016
A celebration of movement and wellness for all.
This event could be the beginning of YOUR wellness story.
- Begin to dance and compete with no one, just grow in your own way
- Try social dance even if you don’t have a partner, but you may find one and you could dance together
- No matter your mood, learn simple dance moves will lift you, thrill you, relax you, elevate you, and showcase YOUR unique strengths your unique strengths
- No barriers, no experience necessary, all abilities ages 13 to 100+
Our mission to provide dance as wellness for all is and has been beyond worthwhile. UNM, guest Louis Van Amstel, and our local NM community and I are so honored and thank you for your time and consideration in joining us.
Some of my UNM Stress Management students have struck gold on stress reduction techniques at our half-way class point, and others are still waiting to find their "solution".
Here are some thoughts on "Journeys and Journals". Our path lengths are all varied, but continue to "seek and you shall find!" ;D