Friday, April 20, 2012 • Stamford, CT 06903
- Warm-up BEFORE you stretch. Perform an active warm-up that prepares your body for exercise with exercise increasing your heart rate, and getting your muscles ready to perform.
- Incorporate cardiovascular exercises AND strength training.
- Incorporate multi-joint, compound exercises where you are training more than one muscle group and moving multiple joints at a time. You will become more efficient with your time and it is more effective for your body.
- Utilize free weights instead of machines when given the opportunity. They provide a greater range of motion, more variety, and can create a more dynamic workout.
- Always move slow and controlled on the eccentric motion of your weight training exercises and power through the concentric movements. The majority of your strength gains come on the eccentric movement not the concentric.
- Train high intensity and short duration.
- Listen to your body and rest. Research has shown that you can actually gain more strength and muscle by periodically dialing down your training.
- Set realistic goals and stick to them!
- Don’t forget proper nutrition.
- Rehydrate and drink plenty of water during your workouts and throughout the rest of your day.
*BONUS---Make it fun!