Is your shower safe? What kind of question is that? Of course it’s safe… Or is it? Most water coming into our homes is chlorinated. Chlorine is a known carcinogenic. Chlorine evaporates more rapidly than water, so when we breathe in, our lungs inhale the vapors. So, between our skin absorbing the chlorinated water and our lungs inhaling any chlorine that evaporates, a shower can, in the end, expose our bodies to harmful chemicals. A simple inexpensive solution is a shower filter. An Aquasana shower filter can be purchased for under $50, a worthwhile investment for your health and well-being.
Rhabdomyolysis is a serious condition resulting from the breakdown of skeletal muscle fibers with leakage of muscle contents (myoglobin) into circulation. If not treated expeditiously, it may lead to kidney failure. While there are many causes of rhabdomyolysis, the one the fitness industry evaluates is overexertion due to exercise.
Too much exercise can lead to individuals being hospitalized with rhabdomyolsis. This condition is not specific to, nor is it more prevalent in beginner fitness enthusiasts. Doctors and fitness experts agree that anyone beginning a fitness program who has little or no experience should take it slow and build up in intensity and duration over time. One case documents a 29 year-old male who decided to perform 30-40 sit-ups every night. After 5 consecutive days, he developed this condition. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the University of Iowa put their football team through a rigorous workout after a 3 week long winter break. That workout, supervised by professional trainers, sent 13 football players to the hospital for treatment.
The most notable symptom is urine color. Specifically, the urine is darker than normal, becomes the shade of tea or cola, or is red. Other symptoms include severe muscle pain, muscle swelling, or muscle weakness. Normal muscle soreness from working out occurs 1-3 days later, while soreness that comes on immediately or within 24 hours is possibly related to this syndrome. If you experience any of these symptoms go directly to the hospital. A simple blood test will show whether you have this condition or not.
Exercise is not the only risk factor. Statin drugs, sickle cell anemia, McArdle disorder, alcoholism, trauma from an accident, severe exercise such as a marathon, heat stroke and amphetamines all increase the risk of developing rhabdomyolisis.
According to Roger Deutsch, author of “Your Hidden Food Allergies are Making You Fat,” it certainly is a possibility. He begins by explaining the difference between a food allergy and a food sensitivity. A food allergy causes a rapid, severe onset of symptoms while a food sensitivity yields delayed low-grade symptoms. The body’s reaction to an allergy vs. an intolerance is also different. A food sensitivity is handled by the innate immune system of the body compared to a food allergy which is handled by the specific immune systems. Food sensitivities and allergies involve different chemical pathways and thus require different tests for detection. A standard allergy test cannot detect a food sensitivity. Food sensitivities can cause migraines, chronic arthritis, fatigue, and chronic inflammation. Long-term chronic inflammation can lead to asthma, arthritis, and some gastrointestinal problems.
The test for food sensitivities, the ALCAT test, can be purchased from achooallergy.com. It’s an easy test that can be done in the privacy of your home. You do not need a prescription. You simply place an order on the internet.
Where might you find your second brain? Go no further than your gut. According to Dr. Campbell-McBride’s book, “Gut and Psychology Syndrome,” a healthy digestive system can reverse autism, depression, ADHD, schizophrenia and a host of other issues. Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride’s research shows that neurotoxins are produced by abnormal flora in the gut. The neurotoxins are absorbed into the body and taken to the brain causing a long list of mental illnesses. A healthy digestive system is imperative for mental health, physical health and emotional health. The immune systems needs a healthy intestinal tract to fight off disease and infections.
One way to improve your intestinal integrity is to eat fermented foods, including, yogurt, sour cream, olives, kefir, sauerkraut, and pickles. “Fermentation is the flavorful space between fresh food and rotten food (Sandor Katz).”
The benefits of eating fermented foods include
- Boosts the immune system by giving the body an abundance of probiotics
- Increases the vitamin content compared to its unfermented counterpart
- Improves the body’s ability to absorb vitamins in any food
- Promotes a healthy balance of good and bad flora and digestive enzymes
- Helps rid the body of toxins
- Stabilizes blood sugar
- Preserves food for longer thereby saving you money
Where to buy fermented foods? The best option is to make your own. Food manufacturers, in order to make the products uniform, resort to other processes. www.Culturesforhealth.com sells starter kits for yogurt, cheese, soy, buttermilk, and kefir. They have how-to videos, recipes and informative articles about fermentation
Keep in mind, if you are toxic, start with a very small amount of home-made fermented food, such as a teaspoon a day. The improvement in your gut’s health will help your body release toxins. Too much, too fast, may cause an intense toxic release. So, take it slow.
I’m sure most of you have read about the benefits of coconut water, but did you know coconut oil has a much more extensive list of health benefits, including stopping and reversing Alzheimer’s disease. Dr. Carolyn Dean has a great summary of research conducted by Dr. Bruce Fife (http://www.naturalnews.com/032727_coconut_oil_Alzheimers.html).
The recent controversy over the use of UV lamps causing cancer in the nail bed when used to dry has many women concerned and opting for alternatives.
Accusations began with reports finding the UV exposure from drying nails equaled the exposure from a tanning bed. Experts are concerned that exposure from UV lamps leads to the more dangerous skin cancer, melanoma. Melanoma is much harder to cure and has a high mortality rate. Also, keep in mind, even if it’s low level exposure, women are still at risk for other forms of skin cancer, such as basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. These are caused by chronic low-level exposure to the sun or UV rays. This cancer is easier to cure when detected early.
Some facts about skin cancer:
- Skin cancer is the most common form of cancer in the United States.
- Each year there are more new cases of skin cancer than the combined incidence of breast, prostate, lung and colon cancers.
- One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime.
- Basal cell carcinoma is the most common form of skin cancer; an estimated 2.8 million are diagnosed annually in the US. BCCs are rarely fatal, but can be highly disfiguring if allowed to grow.
- Squamous cell carcinoma is the second most common form of skin cancer. An estimated 700,000 cases of SCC are diagnosed each year in the US causing 2,500 deaths.
- An estimated 3,170 deaths from non-melanoma skin cancers will occur in the US in 2013.
- About 90 percent of non-melanoma skin cancers are associated with exposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun.
- Melanoma accounts for less than five percent of skin cancer cases, but the vast majority of skin cancer deaths.
- Melanoma is the most common form of cancer for young adults 25-29 years old and the second most common form of cancer for young people 15-29 years old.
This statement further explains the issue:
“"Nail dryers use UVA light," Dr. D'Anne Kleinsmith, spokesperson for the American Academy of Dermatology (AAD) tells Yahoo! Shine. "It doesn't cause much burning but penetrates the skin more than UVB. UVA radiation is more associated with damage to deeper levels of the skin, wrinkling, and cancer. She adds, "Without the burning, we are more are apt to overdose on UVA."
Nail drying machines are unregulated so it is difficult to determine how much UVA they emit. Older machines may emit higher levels. While more studies need to be done, research published in 2009 indicates a connection between UV nail dryers and skin cancer. Some dermatologists are reporting seeing skin problems around the nail beds of patients with little sun damage on other parts of their bodies. While individual trips to the salon might not be a problem, over time, the exposure adds up. “ (Weir, Yahoo Shine)
The general facts about skin cancer sound pretty alarming to me. Regardless of your thoughts about using UV nail dryers, minimizing exposure to UV rays and taking extra precautions, such as lathering up your hands with sunscreen before placing them under the UV light, seems to be the smart thing to do. While I’m not preaching, remember, those beautiful nails now may come at a much greater cost later.
If only life were sooooo EASY!!!! Wouldn’t it be great if all we had to do was eat all the foods labeled “fat-free” and drink “diet” soda (since that has ZERO calories) and we would all be SKINNY!!!! Ha…. Good Luck! Have you tried that theory out? How many of you didn’t lose weight? Dr. Mark Hyman’s blog below explains why eating fat-free foods and/or drinking diet drinks will cause you to be fat. Mind you those are his words. Click here to find out the truth about what you are eating and how misguided you may be.
Diet is 80 % of the equation in weight loss and weight management. Exercise, rest and stress management make up the other 20%. These days’ eating out is just a part of life. Everyone is so busy that taking the time to plan meals, write the food shopping list, go to the grocery store, unpack the bags and then finally cook and cleanup is unrealistic. I understand. When I ask my clients what they eat when they go out, I hear many say “I always order a salad as my main. Of course I know not to order a Caesar salad.”
Recently I came across an article on yahoo health called “6 Salads Worse than a Whopper.” That article got me thinking. I started looking up salads at some restaurants and here’s what I found:
Caramelized Peach Salad (with a house made white balsamic vinaigrette) with chicken is 1190 calories. Just looking at the calorie count, you’d be saving a few hundred calories ordering the Caesar salad with chicken.
A smarter option is the Chinese chicken salad at 620 calories.
Putting this in perspective, while you ate lunch at California Pizza, your friend or spouse eats at TGIF and lets say orders a 6 ounce Black Angus Steak with fries. That meal totals 660 calories (not far from the Chinese chicken salad in calories).
You go to Longhorn steak house and order a grilled chicken and strawberry salad while your counterpart orders a 6-ounce sirloin with string beans. You consume 530 calories and he/she comes in at 420 calories. If your counterpart orders fries then the calorie count is 660.
I’m not suggesting that everyone should eat steak and fries when dining out. My point is, when you can, look up the menus and nutrition facts online before you head out. At least you will know the calorie and fat count of your meal. Sometimes a seemingly innocent salad is a bit of devil!
Mount Olive New Year, New You Wellness Challenge
What is it? It’s a program to help people get started on living a healthier lifestyle. The Mount Olive New Year New You Wellness Challenge is a collaboration of efforts lead by Mayor Greenbaum and me, Nancy Baccarella-Garcia. Several local gyms have donated memberships for the month of January 2013 (see list below). If the gym isn’t your thing, we also got online fitness company pumpone.com to donate 25 memberships so you can workout at home.
Why are we doing this? Because we care about you, your health, and your family’s health. We want to help Mt. Olive residents weed through all of the confusing messages about weight loss, exercise, and healthy eating. By providing free gym memberships we hope to get you moving in a safe effective way. If the gym isn’t your thing, don’t worry. For those of you who prefer to work out at home, we have an online fitness company giving away free memberships to their online site that has workouts and exercise videos available for you to use any day at any time that is convenient for you.
We also recognize exercise is not the only component to living a healthy lifestyle. That’s why we have teamed up with local chefs and nutrition coaches. Realizing that many of you enjoy meals outside of the home, we have also joined forces with several local restaurants including Frescos, Lepore’s Italian Market, the Publick House, Mamas, and the Long Valley Pub to create healthy low calorie meals (under 500 calories) just for you. We have also teamed up with local nutrition coach Laura Peterson. Laura will be giving a “Sugar Blues” talk on January 9, 2013.
Click here to join and “register” to be in the program. https://www.facebook.com/groups/518621598148569/
Once you are in the group, you can try to win the raffles for free gym memberships (for the month of January), free one-on-one training with me, and also sign up for nutrition lectures we are sponsoring.
Participating Gyms include:
24 Hour Fitness
American Health and Wellness
Riverside Health and Wellness
I Just Wanna Be Fit
This initiative is for Mt Olive residents; however, the initiative will open up to surrounding towns if we feel we need to broaden our outreach - so keep checking our facebook page https://www.facebook.com/MountOliveNewYearNewYouWellnessChallenge
Like our page! and Remember to be in the raffle you MUST Join the PRIVATE GROUP!!!! Email me at email@example.com if you don't have a facebook account - I would be happy to put you in the raffles anyway!!!
Ever heard of glutathione?
“Glutathione is a very simple molecule that is produced naturally all the time in your body. It is a combination of three amino acids -- cysteine, glycine and glutamine. The secret of its power is the sulfur (SH) chemical groups it contains. Sulfur is a sticky, smelly molecule. It acts like fly paper and all the bad things in the body stick onto it, including free radicals and toxins like mercury and other heavy metals. Normally glutathione is recycled in the body -- except when the toxic load becomes too great. And that explains why we are in such trouble.” (Dr. Mark Hyman, Huffington Post 04/10)
Glutathione is the first line of protection against environmental chemicals and toxins. If glutathione levels are low, then the body will not be able to rid itself of the toxins. Stress, lack of sleep, illness, injury and an overload of toxins can reduce glutathione levels.
Why is Glutathione so great?
1. Glutathione protects against oxidative stress of the immune system and allows new cells to attack germs and viruses.
2. Glutathione is the gatekeeper to the cell enabling antioxidants to come into the cell and be synthesized.
3. Glutathione is a detoxifier of the cell; grabbing on to and getting rid of toxins such as arsenic and mercury as well as riding the body of free radicals. A great video demonstrating this is given by Dr. Oz and can be watched here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFg7TYSn9zk
4. Glutathione is the only antioxidant that has the ability to recycle itself. No other antioxidant does this.
5. Glutathione protects the nucleus and DNA of a cell.
6. Gluthathione takes amino acids from outside the cell and transports the amino acid inside the cell.
Raising glutathione levels, especially in people who have cancer and other serious conditions, helps some people stabilize or even reverse their conditions. It may also enhance physical performance, mental acuteness, mood, and energy.
How can we increase our glutathione levels?
1. “The overall top food for maximizing your glutathione is high quality whey protein. It must be cold pressed whey protein derived from grass fed cows, and free of hormones, chemicals and sugar. Quality whey provides all the key amino acids for glutathione production (cysteine, glycine and glutamate) and contains a unique cysteine residue (glutamylcysteine) that is highly bioactive in its affinity for converting to glutathione. Glutamylcysteine is a bonded cysteine molecule (cysteine plus glutamate) that naturally occurs in Bovine Serum Albumin – a fragile immune component of the whey. This unique cysteine is exclusive to whey and rarely appears in other protein foods – which makes whey protein the best glutathione-promoting food source.” (Dr. Mercola April 2010).
2. Glutathione supplements are another way to increase glutathione in the body. I have not read any studies as to the efficacy of their use. Some argue that taking a glutathione supplement is a waste of money and time because the stomach acids destroy the glutathione.
3. Supplements in the form of a “precursor” may stimulate the body’s ability to produce glutathione. The body needs 3 precursors to produce glutathione: N-Acetyl Cysteine (derived from L-Cysteine), Glycine and Glutamate. While glycine and glutamate are abundantly found in foods such as broccoli, avocado, garlic, asparagus, tomatoes and spinach, N-Acetyl Cysteine is not. A precursor supplement focuses on giving the body enough N-Acetyl Cysteine.
4. A physician can administer glutathione intravenously. In the Dr. Oz video above, Dr. David Katz, Director of Yale Preventative Research Center, spoke about using the intravenous method with a patient who has Parkinson’s.
Glutathione, with all of its abilities to heal and purify, truly is the body’s own Super Hero.