Diet is 80 % of the equation in weight loss and weight management. Exercise, rest and stress management make up the other 20%. These days’ eating out is just a part of life. Everyone is so busy that taking the time to plan meals, write the food shopping list, go to the grocery store, unpack the bags and then finally cook and cleanup is unrealistic. I understand. When I ask my clients what they eat when they go out, I hear many say “I always order a salad as my main. Of course I know not to order a Caesar salad.”
Recently I came across an article on yahoo health called “6 Salads Worse than a Whopper.” That article got me thinking. I started looking up salads at some restaurants and here’s what I found:
Caramelized Peach Salad (with a house made white balsamic vinaigrette) with chicken is 1190 calories. Just looking at the calorie count, you’d be saving a few hundred calories ordering the Caesar salad with chicken.
A smarter option is the Chinese chicken salad at 620 calories.
Putting this in perspective, while you ate lunch at California Pizza, your friend or spouse eats at TGIF and lets say orders a 6 ounce Black Angus Steak with fries. That meal totals 660 calories (not far from the Chinese chicken salad in calories).
You go to Longhorn steak house and order a grilled chicken and strawberry salad while your counterpart orders a 6-ounce sirloin with string beans. You consume 530 calories and he/she comes in at 420 calories. If your counterpart orders fries then the calorie count is 660.
I’m not suggesting that everyone should eat steak and fries when dining out. My point is, when you can, look up the menus and nutrition facts online before you head out. At least you will know the calorie and fat count of your meal. Sometimes a seemingly innocent salad is a bit of devil!