Do you have a dinner table? Do you eat there? Or do enjoy dinner and a movie in your living room. This act could be derailing your weight loss or adding on the pounds through the years. An issue that we face is multitasking while we eat. We should be fully aware of what is on our plate (and how it got there), moving into your spoon, into your mouth and flooding your taste buds with succulent nutrition. If those words don’t describe your eating habits than you need some change. Even I catch myself on the computer with snacks close by. I pause, nibble, type, pause and nibble, before I know it I’m through one of my favorite snacks and didn’t enjoy the treasure.
Here are 5 steps to being an aware eater:
- If you have a dinner table, use it.
- Turn off all distractions.
- Look at your food and visualize eating it. A study showed that people who visualized eating chocolate candies ate less than those who did not.
- Take small enough bits. No one likes open mouth eaters and your shirt will stay cleaner.
- Chew your food so your body won’t be spending energy in your gut when needed for other activities
Enjoying a meal does not take a lot of time out of your day. So pause, breath, eat and enjoy.