Did you know that one reason for your ongoing pain might be caused by muscle imbalances? Did you know that having a muscle imbalance might be even the root of injury and chronic muscle and joint pain? Muscle imbalances affect the alignment of musculoskeletal system causing poor alignment. Poor alignment put a lot of pressure on your body's tendons and ligaments leading to impingements and inefficient biomechanics. The muscle imbalance can be the cause of any muscle, fascia, metabolic or mechanical postural dysfunction and syndromes.
Some injuries cause muscle imbalance, while others may result from a muscle imbalance. Studies show that many common pain and injuries are caused by muscle imbalances on surrounding muscles:
- Shoulder impingement and shoulder instability - muscle imbalances of the rotator cuff and scapular stabilizers
- Knee IT-band syndrome - the weakness of hip abductors and tightness of IT-band
- Anterior Knee pain - poor hip strength (extension, abduction, external rotation)
- Knee Patello-femoral pain syndrome - hip abductor weakness, soleus (calf) tightness
- SI-Joint dysfunction - hamstring and gluteal weakness and spinal stabilizer weakness
- Lower back pain - decreased range of motion in hip extension and internal rotation, hip extensor weakness for female, weak deep back & abdominal stabilizer muscles, hamstring & hip flexors tightness.
Injury and pain also causes problems for your neurological connection between brain and muscles, and body start to compensate. Faulty & habitual compensation patterns leads to even more pain and risk of re-injury by creating more altered alignment in the joint, tendons, ligaments and muscles. Over compensation and muscle imbalance do not show on the X-ray or MRI but they might still be the real root reason of your pain and re-injury.
Do not overlook your muscle balance, it is a vital component to injury prevention and rehabilitation from injury. It is very true that by restoring your muscle balance you can tremendously decrease your pain and risk of re-injury!
We identify and treat muscle imbalances, rehabilitate chronic pain, chronic disease and orthopedic injury. Our program is perfect fit after Physical therapy and it's available at Carlsbad Village.