Fit & Spicy Mac N' Cheese
Here is my newest recipe for Mac N' Cheese. It's a little sweet, a little cheesy, a little Spicy....AND of course..nutrient dense!
1/2 box of organic Whole Grain Vegetable Shells (I used Eden Organic Pasta)
1/4 cup garlic powder
1/4 onion--chopped finely
2 handfuls of mushrooms--chopped finely
pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup butternut squash (bagged butternut squash from frozen isle--> great for if your short on time)
1 cup shredded reduce- fat chedder cheese
1/3 cup nonfat plain greek yogurt (I used vanilla to add some sweetness)
1/2 tbsp hot sauce
whole wheat bread crumbs and parmesan cheese to sprinkle on top
- Make pasta according to directions on box
- Meanwhile, bring all veggies and seasonings to a simmer for about 10 minutes in a small sauce pan--> butternut squash should get mashed into a cheese like texture. (stir often)
- Gradually add in cheese.
- Remove from heat and add in non-fat greek yogurt.
- Pour mixture and cooked pasta into baking dish and stir well.
- Sprinkle whole wheat bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake in oven at 350* for about 15 minutes.
**Check out Facebook for a Picture **