Healthy Tailgating--> Recipe #3 Squash & Spinach Mac N' Cheese
Today I decided to experiment and make up my own version of a healthy Mac N' Cheese. It was a success so I'll share it and hope you enjoy it as well! When I cook I don't always measure... so I did not measure anything--> I poured, dashed and threw in handfuls of ingredients. This healthy Mac N' Cheese gets it's creamy cheese like texture by using mashed up Butternut Squash. Therefore making this dish more nutrient dense while decreasing calories and fat content!
Squash & Spinach Mac N' Cheese
2 handfuls of Whole Wheat Pasta (Rotini)
1 small handful of Quinoa
3 handfuls of Spinach
1 small/medium Butternut Squash
Almond Milk (or skim milk)
2-3 slices of Cheese (Provolone) Or you can use shredded cheese--> Use as much as you desire
Whole Wheat Breadcrumbs
Other Spices you prefer--> crushed red pepper, pepper, Italian Seasonings
Preheat Oven to 350*
1. Cut up Butternut Squash into small pieces, place in microwavable dish and cook on high for 5-10 minutes. Stirring occassionally. It is ready when it can be mashed up like mashed potatos. I added in a few splashes of Almond Milk to help stir.
2. While the Butternut Squash is cooking..cook your pasta and quinoa--> Fill up a pot with water and boil. Once boiling throw in Pasta & Quinoa.
3. In a separate pan, Preferebly a Stir Fry Pan. Spray Olive Oil Spray to coat. Throw in Spinach, minced onions, garlic powder, a few dashes of parmesean cheese and a few splashes of Almond Milk. Bring to a smimmer.
4. Once Pasta is cooked, throw that into the Stir Fry Pan with the other ingredients( Quinoa still won't be completely cooked--Don't worry it will completely cook by the the time your ready to serve the dish.)
5. Add in the cheese and keep stirring. You might need to add a few more splashes of Almond Milk to keep up the consistency.
6. Once the Butternut Squash is "mushy" add that into the Stir Fry Pan and keep stirring. Once again you might need to add a few splashes of Almond Milk.
7. Add more seasoning, as desired.
8. Pour the whole mixture into your baking pan.
9. Sprinkle Parmesean Cheese, Garlic Powder, and Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs on top of Mixture and place into oven for 10-15 minutes to get the top nice and crispy!
10. Take out of oven and it's Ready to Serve!!
All together this recipe took me about a half an hour from start to finish. It's a great healthy meal that's loaded with Veggies, Protein, Whole Grains, & Fiber! This dish serves about 4-5 people.
Follow my posts on Facebook for a picture of the finished dish!