Summer is almost here. What have you decided to do about it. There is still time to get in shape and feel good about your body in this active time of year. I hope you aren't like many people who decide to give themselves the summer off. I think this goes back to grade school when we wanted to be free of any restrictions in the summer. There is no vacation when it comes to your health. We need to be healthy and active always to have a good quality of life. We can allow ourselves a day off here or there from exercise, and one free meal a week, but otherwise taking a summer off can be detrimental to your health!!
Quick Health Tips:
1. Don't weigh yourself, but take your measurements and body fat if you have the ability. This is really the true test of fitness, how lean you are, not how much you weigh. Muscle is more compact than fat and takes up less space, but may not reflect on the scale. We are looking to be trim. Since our bodies are made up of over 50% water, many times the scale may go up after we eat a salty meal or we are dehydrated.
2. Eat more protein. An average person needs .05 grams of protein per pound. A 150 pound person would need 75 grams of protein a day. I eat protein with every meal and snack. It stabalizes my blood sugar and keeps cravings away. It also helps repair my muscles which are made of protein after a hard workout.
3. Eat more fruits and vegetables. The fiber in fruits and vegetables will flush out the toxins in your body daily and is a good antioxidant. This will also help our body be hydrated because fruits and vegetables have a lot of water in them.
4. Add lemons to your water. They will neutralize the acid in your body. Most Americans have a highly acidic diet, especially if they drink alcohol and eat a lot of processed foods. Lemons, although an acid, will neutralize the acid and bring your body into a more alkaline state. A body that is alkaline will not get disease. Diseases like cancer thrive in an acidic environment. The recommended daily amount of water is .05% per pound. A 150 pound person needs 75 oz. water a day.
5. Do cardiovascular activity daily. The new recommendation is 1 hour a day. Think about how much our ancestors walked a day before cars and tvs were invented. Remember anything is better than nothing if you are just starting. Our bodies were meant to move! A good saying to remember is: "Motion is lotion." We may feel achy and stiff, but moving our bodies helps with those aches and pains.
6. Eat real food. Our bodies have to work much harder to work off whole grains like oatmeal and cooked chicken and real fruits and vegetables than a meal from a fast food restaurant. When our bodies work harder, that is more calories burned and less weight around our bellies.
7. Reduce stress. When we are under stress, our bodies produce chemicals like cortisol which causes belly fat. It will do the same thing when we are sleep deprived. Our blood pressure and cholesterol can also go up under stress and can lead to heart trouble. Learn to breathe deeply and give yourself plenty of time between activities.
8. Get a trainer and learn how to lift weights properly. I did before I became one myself. It was one of the best investments I ever made. My bones as a small framed women are stronger than ever because of all the muscle surrounding them. I don't have to worry that my hip will fracture when walking or getting out of bed. There are many things in our control and getting fit is one of them!
Precision Personal Training
Results You Can Count On
Do you eat a small breakfast, like most Americans or do you eat the biggest meal of the day for breakfast like is recommended? I try to aim for 40 grams of protein and 30 - 40 grams of good carbs. My typical breakfast would be a bowl of oatmeal with two tablespoons of flax seed, one egg and two egg whites or 1 1/2 scoops of protein powder. I also have a piece of fruit and a dairy. Yes, it is filling, but I am fueling my body for the day and my workout soon to follow. The 2nd biggest meal is lunch. The smallest meal of my day is dinner which will include protein and vegetables only. Later, if I am hungry, I will have Greek yogurt of another protein shake. In addition, I eat 2 snacks spaced about 3 hours after each meal of about 200 calories.
I am a middle aged woman with 18% body fat and the inner age of a 14 year old. Let me coach you nutritionally. I have lost 40 pounds and kept it off for over 20 years.
How would you like to change the course of your life? You do NOT have to accept that since you are getting older, you will spend more time at the doctor's and spend more money on medicine!! This is what the medical community would have you believe because that belief keeps them in business. By making a few simple changes like getting moving and cleaning up your diet, you can live to a ripe old age. Our bodies are meant to heal themselves by good nutrition and staying active. Let me show you exactly how to take charge of your life again and empower you to become the healthy person you were always meant to be.
Staying fit doesn't have to break the bank. There are many ways to get personal attention and divide the costs. Have you ever considered small group training? A popular type of group coaching class at my gym is TRX training. Each session is limited to 6 participants and the coach plans the workout so you don't have to think. These classes are a fraction of the price of one on one training and clients see results plus have the accountability of the group as well as the coach. Check out trx training at your local facility. You won't be disappointed!!!
Summer time can be a real challenge for my clients. They get visitors and have their own vacations to take. Those that are successful have made the lifestyle change which tells them they are never "off" in regards to their health and fitness. They take healthy foods with them or purchase them when they arrive at their destination. They figure out where and when they can workout while they are gone. Some of these clients have even lost weight on vacation. In short, they are commited to their success wherever they are.
I hope you are making healthy choices for your body this summer. It is the only one you have. Say it, believe it, become the successful person you are inside!
Here is a core workout that will get to those deep layer of muscles known as the transverse abdominals which are the girdle muscles that hold us in.
Side plank hold for 30 seconds. Work up to 1 minutes on each side.
Modified plank hold for 30 seconds. Work up to 2 minutes
Yoga boat pose hold for 30 seconds. Work up to 2 minutes
Burpees - do 25
Repeat workout and do twice a week to see results.
Precision Personal Training
Results You Can Count On
Here is a great workout to do at home without equipment: