The cliche of New Year's Resolutions is upon us again. Are you one of those people who makes a resolution? Do you accomplish it? I don't know the exact statistics but its pretty common knowledge that most people do not. I personally do not like to make resolutions simply because it is cliche and doesn't necessarily mean anything. Whatever you set out to accomplish, you have to figure out WHY you want to do it. This is especially true if the goal is kind of lofty or takes some discipline.
Your "why" might be to look good in a swimsuit, or for your wedding or to run a race. Is it that important to you that you will do whatever it takes to achieve and maintain that goal? The reason why people fail at achieving their resolutions most of the time is because its a nice goal and it sounds good, but when push comes to shove, its just not that important, or something more important takes priority.
Now let me ask you this: Is there anything more important to you than your health? Think about it...if you lose your health, what happens--especially if its a biggie (not talking a cold or anything). Put bluntly, you lose everything, literally. You could die. What is more important than preserving your life? If not for you, then for your family and those that count on you.
This is a pretty big "why" for a lot of people, but they still get derailed. Many times this happens because they forget their why or because they don't have a plan and don't manifest their vision.
Here are 5 steps to make your health goals happen this year:
1. write down what you want and WHY you want it. make it big, make it something that gets you emotional. draw or cut out a picture and paste it with your goal/why statements.
2. make 3 copies of this collage and put one at your nightstand, one on the fridge, and one at your desk--all where you can easily see them, to remind you of your goal and keep you focused.
3. every day--every single day!--read your statements before you go to bed and when you wake up in the morning, and whenever you see your collage--at your desk, on your fridge, etc.
4. visualize what your goal will look like--if that is running a race, visualize yourself crossing the finish line; if its getting your cholesterol down, visualize feeling awesome and seeing your numbers; if its feeling good about your body, visualize you looking in the mirror seeing the person you want to be and how that feels. Experience the vision, feel it with your whole body and mind.
5. devise a plan to make it happen. if you want to run a marathon, you have to follow a regimented training program to get there. If you want to get your cholesterol down, you need a plan for that. A health and fitness pro can help you with these--this is what we do--create programs and help people achieve their goals. We can't do it for you, but we can help you map it out. Ultimately, you will be the one to create and manifest the vision to reality.
It IS possible to create the life you want to live. You can make 2011 the year it all turns around. It might not happen next month or next year, but resolve to be on the journey, create your vision, and follow a well-laid plan. You can't fail with that! Happy New Year!!