Let’s face it, muscle soreness in Bethesda is sometimes inevitable and does not feel good. According to the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM), muscle soreness is that feeling of pain or discomfort that is felt 24 to 72 hrs. after new or intense exercise. There are a few things that I recommend you do to ease muscle soreness and help you continue with your exercise program. Those things are: proper progression, proper warm up & cool down and post workout recovery nutrition.
Most exercisers begin a training program too advanced. In the weight-training world, that means too much weight, sets, reps and duration in a training program. I recommend 2-3 days (spaced out with 36-48 hrs. rest in b/w) of 2 sets of 12-20 reps at light to moderate weight instead of the typical 3-4 days of 3 sets of 8-12 reps at moderate to heavy weight for each exercise you do. This should be done for the first four to six weeks of a training program. As your body adapts (which is known as G.A.S. & S.A.I.D in the exercise world), it will be able to handle more work around that 4-6 week time period. This is my first recommendation to help muscle soreness recovery in Bethesda.
Proper Warm-Up and Cool Down
A warm up and cool down has always been an under-appreciated part of an exercise program. However, it could be the most important to prevent muscle soreness. The warm up is designed to prepare your body for the exercise you will do that day. It helps because it increases your heart rate, breathing, tissue temperature and mentally prepares you. Oftentimes, people jump right into certain exercises that their bodies are not ready for. As a result, the body ends up working harder than it should and this leads to muscle soreness. Examples of a warm up could include, in order: foam rolling, stretching and then walking on a treadmill, using an elliptical or jump roping. The cool down is just the opposite of the warm up and its purpose is to bring you from exercising back to a resting state. The benefits include reducing heart and breathing rates, cool the body temperature and restore muscles back to their resting lengths. If none of these things are done, then, once again, muscle soreness can happen. Examples of a cool down include: stretching, certain yoga poses and breathing techniques.
Post Workout Recovery Nutrition
Sometimes our best effort put forth with proper progression and warm-up/cool-down just does not work. As a result, we might have to resort to our nutrition to help us recover from muscle soreness. Nutrition can be the best form of recovery from our resistance training programs. According to Charles Poliquin, one of the most respected strength and conditioning coaches, these foods are the best to aid in recovery: water, cinnamon, green veggies like broccoli and berries. They help because they have properties in them that help eliminate waste and aid in tissue recovery and repair. My recommendation is to take those ingredients and add them to a protein powder in the form of a smoothie. A liquid based nutrition product gets into the blood stream faster and as a result can help with muscle soreness recovery in Bethesda faster.
So, there you have it, muscle soreness recovery in Bethesda. Try these out for measure and see if they help you. I am willing to bet (if I was a gambling man) that they will help you! Need help recovering from muscle sorness? Contact us now!! as we are the experts!
Exercising with your kids should be a goal for every family. However, in today’s society, families are spending less and less time together. Parents are working more and kids are spending more time outside of the house than ever before. It is truly sad times for the family structure. However, there are some things that can be done to get our families back on track. One of the ways this can be done is through family exercise! Here are a few easy ways to start exercising with your kids in Bethesda (or your city).
Saturday afternoon Walks and Biking
When the weather allows, family walks are great for exercising with your kids. The parents can do the walking, while the kids do the biking (or scooting). Your kids will love this because they love spending time outside with their family riding their bikes.
For exercising with your kids in Bethesda, how about a family push-up competition. You can do as many pushups as possible in two rounds and pick the winner based upon that. Now, mom and dad make sure you let one of the kids win or else you may ruin the fun part about exercising with your kids!
Exercise DVD’s are a great for exercising with your kids. My kids actually like to pop them in themselves and start working out! It is amazing to see how much energy they have at their young age and how they can keep up with the DVDs. Your kids will enjoy this too!
For exercising with your kids in Bethesda, playing outside is probably the most popular thing that we should do with our kids. From freeze tag, to two-hand touch, to hide and go seek, there is plenty of fun & exercise. You can even play the chase game where your kids get a head start running or on their bike and then you have to try and catch them as exercising with kids.
Gym Workout Sessions
There are gyms that have what is called family gym time. This is a time set aside where families can come in and do "real exercises" together. Some of those exercises might include things such as planks, push-ups, squats, bridges, jumping jacks and the TRX row that really makes exercising with kids super fun! We may incorporate something like that at Move Well Fitness!
Families that exercise together, stay together! With the demands of today’s busy schedule for everyone, please make time to spend together exercising with your kids in Bethesda (or your city)! Trust me, they will cherish every waking moment!
Perhaps you have been there before. You know, that unexpected event that you had to attend and you weighed more than you wanted. Perhaps you are frustrated with your weight and if you could just lose 5 lbs. quickly, that would be the jumpstart you need to get your fitness on track. In this blog, we will cover 3 ways to lose weight safe and fast.
Get More Sleep
Yes, that is right, sleep helps to lose weight safe and fast. Research shows that at least 8-10 hours of sleep each night helps with fat loss. It does this because it cuts down the amount of cortisol and insulin (stress hormones that are not good for fat loss) floating around in your blood stream at night. You want your body using hormones such as leptin and glucagon to help you lose weight safe and fast. 8-10 hours of sleep every night does this.
Drink More Water
Our body is made up of upwards of 70% water and helps you lose weight safe and fast. Drinking 11 (women) to 15 (men) cups of water daily, helps rid our body of toxins that could be responsible for holding onto unnecessary fat. Drinking water also helps because it makes you feel full which could help reduce the amount of food you might be tempted to eat.
Do a Weekend Detox
Detoxes help to lose weight safe and fast. They work for most people because they do two things: reduces sugar intake and inflammation. This happens because you are eliminating foods such as certain meats, bread, some fruits, pasta and potatoes. Cutting the foods listed will help lower your calorie intake and help you better manage your insulin and blood sugar levels. This helps to drop weight safe and fast. Too high insulin and blood sugar levels (which those foods can cause) makes it hard to lose weight. Certain meats include those like red meat. Red meat can be hard to digest which can lead to toxins being left in the body. Also, meats can make the liver work harder than it wants too, also leading to toxins left in the body. Fruits would be those that are high medium or high on the glycemic index and in turn cause a spike in your insulin. These fruits are: water melon, dates, cantaloupe and pineapples.
Replace those foods with greens: the broccoli family (including cauliflower, kale and collards), asparagus, green beans, mushrooms, onions, zucchini, tomatoes, fennel, eggplant, artichokes peppers and nuts like sunflower seeds and almonds for their protein makeup. This will help you lose weight safe and fast.
To lose weight safe and fast, it may not be as hard as you think. Try the three tips above and let us know how it goes!
In today's blog, we are talking about 7 questions to ask a Bethesda (or your respective city) personal trainer before becoming a client. You obviously want the best results possible from the personal trainer you choose, so it’s critical that you interview them with these questions:
1. Why did you decide to become a Bethesda personal trainer? You want to find out why they are a personal trainer. If they are doing it only because they like working out and not helping people, then I advise you continue looking for a Bethesda personal trainer.
2. Where do you see yourself in five years? You want them to be committed to their career. Oftentimes, people become personal trainers so that they can work out for free while making some money on the side. You have to decide if this type of person is genuinely interested in helping you get in shape.
3. Do you practice what you teach? Do you want a plumber who has broken pipes at their house or a dentist with a bunch of missing teeth? You want a personal trainer in Bethesda who first takes of themselves and can speak from experience about the benefits of exercise. This can only happen if they exercise too!
4. If there is anything else you could do career wise, what would it be? You want them to say I am already doing it and hope to help more people just like you! If this is not their answer (or something super similar to it), then I suggest you keep looking for a Bethesda personal trainer.
5. What kind of education do you have? Don't look for just book smarts (i.e. degrees and certifications in the field by organizations such as NASM, NSCA, ACE, Precision Nutrition, Institute of Integrative Nutrition, PTaGlobal, RTS and MAT), but, look for education in self-improvement, business, lifestyle coaching and dealing with different personalities. This will help you to know that your trainer is more than a just a wealth of book knowledge.
6. What kind of results have you gotten with your clients? This goes without saying. Any Bethesda personal trainer worth their weight in gold has helped their clients get results. However, there maybe a new personal trainer who has not been given the opportunity to do so. If they meet all the other qualifications, then I say give them a chance!
7. What is the least thing you like about personal training? If they answer this question with there is not anything I do not like about personal training, they are lying and you should continue looking for a trainer. All personal trainers, including myself, do not like something about personal training.
So, there you have it. These 7 questions you should ask any Bethesda personal trainer before becoming a client. I hope they were helpful for you. If you are seriously looking for a Bethesda personal trainer, then please consider us. Click here: Move Well Fitness has the best personal training in Bethesda to schedule a free consultation with us TODAY!
Move Well Fitness is a business that works hard at delivering results and getting referrals. Here are 11 reasons why residents of Bethesda refer Move Well Fitness:
1. We listen: In a world where most people like to tell others what to do; we actually listen to you. We know that you trust us as the experts to help you with your fitness goals. We cannot do that unless we seriously listen to you.
2. We motivate and inspire: We are a mixture of Oprah Winfrey, Tony Robbins and Les Brown! Seriously, we have a unique way of pulling out of you that drive needed to help you feel and look better.
3. We care: Seriously, we do. Once you work with us, we consider you to be a part of our family, the Move Well Fitness family with me as your dad! As a father of three kids, I have no intention of failing them and I have no intention of you failing. Residents of Bethesda refer Move Well Fitness!
4. We adapt: There are times to be rigid and times to be flexible. We are realistic and understand that at certain times, a change of normal action is needed to match how you are feeling at that moment.
5. We are passionate: We know that fitness can change the world in so many ways. We are super energized to do this one person at a time, especially YOU.
6. We go above & beyond: We are insatiable, it’s just in our DNA. We don’t just care about you when you are in our facility, but we care about you all the time. Expect to hear from us when you least expect it!
7. We are insatiable: We want the best for our clients, so, we don't settle. Whether it’s more education, better equipment, newer fitness programs, we are on it. Residents of Bethesda refer Move Well Fitness!
8. We are demanding: Most of us had a schoolteacher that would hold us to the fire and give us more work that we thought we could handle. However, you appreciated and learned more from that teacher right? Consider us that teacher!
9. We are knowledgeable: Education is important to us. We stay ahead of the curve with the latest fitness trends and already proven systems that work. Certifications are our middle name!
10. We are consistent: We do what we say we will do 99% of the time (let’s face it, we are not perfect, but we are pretty close!). Yes, residents of Bethesda refer Move Well Fitness!
11. We deliver on our promise: Our 100% money back guarantee proves this! We consider ourselves failures if you fail and trust me, we don’t like failing or losing!
Bonus: WE GET RESULTS: This is why we are in business and this is why you come to us. We aim to please!
So, there you have. The 11 reasons why residents of Bethesda refer Move Well Fitness! Who have you told today about Move Well Fitness?
Eating is something that we have to do in order to survive. However, have you ever practiced mindful eating? Unfortunately, we have taken eating to another level! We no longer eat for survival and function. Now, we eat to feel better, relieve stress, feel better about ourselves and deal with boredom! Ouch! How do we deal with all of this? This is where mindful eating comes into play. Shall we talk about how to practice mindful eating?
What is Mindful Eating?
Mindful eating is the art of eating food consciously. Instead of scoffing down a bowl of Life (one of my favorite cereals growing up :)), spoonfuls of peanut butter or a hamburger without even thinking about, mindful eating focuses on what you eat, when you eat and how you eat.
What you Eat?
Mindful eating involves eating healthy foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean meat, fish, poultry and drinking healthy beverages like water. If you can afford it, grass fed, wildly caught and organic should be the make up of all your food.
When You Eat?
In mindful eating, you typically eat your three main meals, but, the environment you eat it in is key. For example, reading or watching TV can be too distracting as it keeps you from focusing in on your food. Try not to eat when you are stressed to avoid overeating.
How You Eat?
This is key with mindful eating. Mindful eating involves eating slowly, trying to taste each bite of food and putting the utensil(s) down after every bite. Each meal should take you, on average, 10-15 minutes to finish. How you determine when you are done eating is not based upon when all of the food is gone, but, rather when you are about 80% full.
Who Should Practice Mindful Eating?
Anyone who wants to lose weight or just in general anyone who wants to be healthier should practice this.
Mindful eating is a great way to focus on eating the right foods at the right time. We, at Move Well Fitness in Bethesda, believe in this and we hope that you now do too!
For more information about mindful eating, go here: Mindful Eating With Move Well Fitness to schedule a FREE consultation with us.
The fear that existed with exercise for pregnant women years ago is no longer needed. Exercise for pregnant women in Bethesda is safe as long as you get the ok from your doctor & seek out a qualified and certified fitness professional. These tips below from Move Well Fitness in Bethesda will help!
1. Posture Change from the Growth of the Baby: As a result of the baby's growth, your posture will change. This causes certain muscles to become weak, particularly your core. In the 1st and 2nd trimester, exercise for pregnant women should focus on making the core stronger through exercises such as planks, bridges, and birddogs. Once the 3rd trimester hits, it is time to avoid core exercises where you ly down on your stomach or back. You can still work your core by doing standing exercises such as medicine ball chops, reverse chops & rotations. All of these exercises can be performed 2-3 days/week, 1-2 sets of 12-15 reps with appropriate rest time (45-90 seconds) between sets.
2. Cardiovascular Exercise: Because of the growth of your baby, your heart and lungs work harder and you will feel it. However, cardio exercise for pregnant women in Bethesda can still be done with things like low impact or step aerobics that does not involve jarring motions. Walking on the treadmill, stationary cycling and water aerobics done 3-5 days/week for 15-30 minutes are suggested too.
3. Flexibility Exercise: Because your body posture has changed, this may cause certain muscles to overwork or become tight. As a result, you may feel the need to stretch certain muscles. This is ok to do so as long as exercise for pregnant women includes static and active stretches along with foam rolling that can be tolerated. However, foam rolling on varicose veins or swollen muscles should not be done. I would advise stretching muscles that appear to be tight such as your calves and lower back. This can be done everyday for 1-2 sets, holding each stretch for 30-60 seconds.
4. Weight Training Exercise: Circuiting training has shown to be very effective for you throughout your entire pregnancy. These include exercises that work the entire body and can be performed back to back with little rest in between. I recommend exercises that work the following muscles: legs, chest, back, shoulders and arms. They can be done 2-3 days/week, 1-2 sets of 12-15 reps. The rest period can be in between 45-75 seconds for exercise for pregnant women.
5. Cautions: You should stop or avoid exercises that cause nausea, dizziness, stomach pain, prolonged shortness of breath, bleeding and fainting.
Exercise for pregnant women in Bethesda can be very beneficial. As a result, the pregnancy can be smoother and the recovery can be quicker. Let Move Well Fitness in Bethesda help you exercise during your pregnancy!
Helpful links for exercises: http://blog.nasm.org/fitness/exercise-pregnancy-physiological-changes-exercise-programming/
Source: Clark, Sutton, Lucett. NASM Essentials of Personal Fitness Training, 4th Ed. Revised. 2014
In this world of technology and “I want it now”, we have become a society that loves the latest and the greatest. We are no strangers to this in the fitness arena in Bethesda as we have our fair share of fitness products, trends and fads. While this can be beneficial for those who thrive off of new things and change, there are still a lot of the “old school” things that work. Here is my top five list of fitness trends in 2015 in Bethesda that ain't going nowhere.
The TRX, is, in my opinion, the most versatile piece of portable equipment that one could purchase. Any exercise that can be done in a gym environment, can also be done using the TRX. Whether your focus is stabilization, strength, power or flexibility, the TRX will allow to do those exercises. Also, it is easy to use and can be used anywhere! The TRX is here to stay as a fitness trend in 2015 in Bethesda that ain't going nowhere!
The Bosu Ball is a great tool that not only incorporates power exercises, but, just like the TRX, allows a user to perform any exercise imaginable. Bosu Balls are great tools to use as cardio portions of a circuit b/c they burn a lot of calories in a short amount of time. Did you know that the US Ski team endorses the Bosu ball for its ability to enhance their ski program?
Circuit training is a style of exercise that mixes weight training with cardio exercise. As a result, this form of exercising appeals to those who do not have time to workout. The other benefit of circuit training is the reduction in rest periods which allows the body to improve its overall conditioning. As your body becomes better with circuit training, your ability to work harder improves too! Circuit training is a fitness trend in 2015 in Bethesda that ain't going nowhere!
The Paleo Diet
The Paleo Diet became really popular through the world of Cross Fit. It promotes that the majority of the food you eat be in the form of vegetables, certain fruits and a limited portion of meat ( the main beverage should be water). The veggies, fruits and meat should be properly treated, grass fed, hormone & pesticide free. People who eat this way have seen significant results that include: weight loss, more energy and there have been reports of the reversal of hypertension. Relatively speaking, it is a simple way of eating that does not require a lot of work. As people become busier, eating the Paleo way is more attractive as their meals are easy and quick.
Heart Rate Monitors
Heart rate monitors are an excellent way to engage how hard (or not) a person is working. For those who want to lose weight or are training for some type of event in Bethesda, wearing a heart rate monitor is one of the easiest way to determine intensity. Also, a lot of heart rate monitors now include how many steps you take and calories burned. The heart rate monitor is a proven, accurate gauge of intensity and is a fitness trend in 2015 in Bethesda that ain't going nowhere!
So, there you have it. The TRX, Bosu Balls, circuit training, Paleo Diet and heart rate monitors have withstood the test of time and are fitness trends in 2015 in Bethesda that ain't going nowhere. How about you try all of these together for the next month and let us know your results!
Growing up, I can remember my mother saying the following: “Sit up straight boy, stop slouching, do not bend over like that because you will end up with terrible posture.” As a young boy, I had no idea of what she meant. In hindsight, my mother was right (and a great educator too)! In today’s day and age of technology, less activity and overall laziness, the importance of good posture is at all time high. Unless you want to be like that elderly man or woman who cannot lift their head to look straight ahead, then I suggest you start paying more attention to the importance of good posture. With that being said, shall we discuss posture in general, what happens to your body with bad posture and how to achieve great posture in Bethesda.
What is Posture?
Quite simply, the importance of good posture is the way our respective bodies position themselves. It can also be defined as the way our head, neck, shoulders, hips, knees and foot/ankle are positioned while standing still or in motion. When we think of good posture, this is what typically comes to mind: our body straightened up, chin raised and shoulders relaxed and in a down position. A great example of this would be a military person standing at attention. When we think of bad posture, this is what typically comes to mind: our body is slouched or hunched over, our shoulders are rounded forward and we have some terrible looking curve in our backs! A great example of this would be the hunchback of Notre Dame. The latter is something we should all try to avoid and let us talk about the reasons why.
What Happens When We Have Bad Posture?
Bad posture does not happen over night. If we do a lot of daily: sitting, driving and repetitive movements without paying attention to what position our body is in, then we typically end up with bad posture. From a psychological standpoint, bad posture could be the result of feeling anxious, not motivated and not optimistic on life (yes, our mood affects our bodies physically). As a result of all this, we end up with skeletal and muscle pain, joint restriction or just general discomfort. Our bodies end up misaligned with muscle imbalances and, ultimately, we set it up for degeneration, ouch! However, no need to fret just yet, because there are a few simple things we can do to improve or enhance our posture immediately!
How to Achieve Great Posture:
There are a few simple things we can do to make sure we appreciate the importance of good posture. They are so simple that we can start doing them today! The first thing we should do is to observe our current body position. Is our head pointing straight ahead and ears aligned with our shoulders? Is our shoulders pulled back and not rounding forward? Is our stomach tucked or pulled in? Is our belt line straight around our waist or it below or above it. How about our knees and feet, are they facing straight ahead or turned in or out. Remember, we do want our posture to look like the military persona standing at attention.
After we observe our posture and make those corrections, then we should work to make sure that our bodies will adapt to that position. This is going to require us to do certain exercises. I recommend things such as single balance exercises, core exercises and integrated exercises that incorporate both balance and core exercises. Click here: Exercises for Better Posture
Lastly, after we have observed our posture and done exercises to allow our posture to improve, it is not time to make sure that we maintain what we have developed. This requires us to be aware of how we sit and stand at home, work and while driving in our cars. Even though we cannot avoid doing these things, we can certainly be fully aware of how we position our bodies. The following link is a great example of how to position our bodies when we stand and sit: Better Body Positioning for Better Posture
So, there you have, everything you need to know about the importance of good posture. As I am sure we all know, mothers know best. If all else fails, let us remember back to our youth when our mom use to say: “Stand and sit up straight!”