Why do I have muscle tension? How can I get this to go away? Can you just massage it out? How many sessions will it take to get that out? What exercises can I do? What foods should I eat? What oils would help out with this pain?
These are common questions I recieve daily. There are many reasons we have muscle pain, injury, accident, muscle imbalances, immobility, emotional and physical stresss we put on our minds and bodies. Exercise, massage therapy and proper nutrition are all good components to help in relieving muscle tension. There is more that we can do to overall help alleviate it. I throw the questions back out to determine some possible culprits to the tension/pain.
The answer is in you, we can put the pieces of the puzzle together to help alleviate the problem.
If there has not been any previous injury or accidents, then take note of
- Body Mechanics
- How are you getting in your car- Take note of twisting, dumping out onto one leg over the other.
- Sitting at your desk- Are you slumped over with your head forward and shoulders forward?
- Walking & Running- what is the surface that you walk on, shoes, and your foot stance?
- Sleeping mechanics- do you sleep on your stomach with your head turned to the side?
2. Emotional- Is there an increase in stress, positive and negative?
Ways to Relieve Muscle Tension:
- Practice Mindfulness to what you are doing in the moment, be aware of your mechanics while sitting for a long period of time, listen to your body to stop, stretch and reposition.
- Daily Myofascial massage release using fun toys~ Foam rollers, balls, theracane.
- Sleeping supportive and not on your stomach.
- Daily Exercise to realign your body, when we continue the same repetiive movements daily, our muscles get weak and overstretched. Incorporate strength training and yoga for better balanced body and less overall tension.
- Oils- White flower (health food store, amazon), Pepperment & spearmint blend, deep blue (doterra)
- Journaling your tension on times when its increased and note why. Writing or keeping a section added in your smartphone will help you forsee the patterns that you can break.