Leave the Guilt at Home!
Everyone, even those on hard core diets, go out to restaurants. Whether a night out with friends, a special occasion, or just wanting a change of pace, we all dine out from time to time. However, this does not mean that we have to blow our nutrition; we just need to learn to make smart choices when ordering at restaurants. Make healthy choices and leave the guilt at home next time you eat out!
Follow these tips to make smart choices while dining out:
- Order meat grilled, steamed, or broiled instead of fried or sautéed, and ask for little or no butter and little salt on the meat to reduce fat and sodium intake.
- If ordering a salad or pasta, ask for the dressing/sauce on the side so you are in control of how much of it you eat. These sauces are often full of not only fat, but sodium as well; by ordering it on the side you can reduce the amount of fat and sodium you eat in your meal.
- Order a salad (dressing on the side) or cup of low fat soup to begin your meal. This helps curb your hunger and will make you feel fuller without tons of calories.
- Always order water, even diet soda isn’t the best choice due to the artificial sweeteners.
- If ordering a sandwich or wrap, order whole grain instead of white or cheese bread.
- Ask for a small or lunch portion instead of the large dinner portion. If you do order the large dinner portion, ask them to put half of the meal in a to-go box, before they bring it to you, to avoid overeating.
- You can also order an appetizer as your main course, or share a meal with a friend.
- Want dessert? Go for it! Try to stick to fresh fruit or very small portions.
You can have fun and eat well without sabotaging your healthy lifestyle journey. Use these tips and happy, healthy eating from the Move More Fitness team!